Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 5 January 2018

Some Japanese tanks

Back around 1965 I had masses and masses of Airfix Japanese infantry. This was before Airfix released their Type 97 so tank support back then consisted of Bren carriers with a turret! These are long gone. I think it was in the 80s/early 90s when I got back to the Japanese. Due to my finances at the time I couldn't afford much in the way of metal tanks, so got a few plastic mediums and scratch built the lights from balsa - and I've just come across some of them...

Plastic Type 97 - probably Airfix? Not sure any more!

These two are not Airfix - can't remember the make any more. Well, it was quite a while ago. Type 1 Chi-He tank and Type 1 Ho-Ne tank destroyer.

Some balsa Type 97s. The front tank was the prototype, ones behind were the slightly simpler mass produced version - had about 7 or 8 at one time. Wargames purposes only so running gear is just paint!

The only Type 95 I produced. This was towards the end of my involvement in the project so I didn't get round to painting the running gear. 

I've also come across a few of the artillery pieces I did - I'll try and get them on the blog over the next couple of days.





8 comments:

  1. A fortuitous post for me. I'm just starting this theatre of war in 1/32, so it's nice to see Japanese tanks painted for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to inspire people - don't do it very often!

      Delete
  2. I really like your balsa tank,they look great. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other tanks are probably Fujimi- they did three, Chi Ha, Chi Ha with 47mm and tank destroyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds reasonable thanks - metal, would probably have been able to work it out, plastic no chance.

      Delete
  4. Here's a link (you need to scroll down a long way.

    http://henk.fox3000.com/Fujimi.htm

    If you want others- try Frontline 20mm range

    http://www.frontlinewargaming.co.uk/




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually got quite a few Frontline tanks - at some stage I should start putting more of my 20mm WW2 stuff on the blog.

      Delete