Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 16 November 2017

Garrison Persian cataphracts

Last post included the comment 'God this takes me back to my Persian army. What a wonderful sight.You've got to 'do' some cilibanarii from Garrison. Probably never fought for Cyrus but what did we know back then.' from Robbie Rodiss.

Well, I use the cataphract horses for other purposes and give the figures unarmoured horses - as per Herodotus. On the other hand, I have quite a few from the Charles Grant collection (some are on page 15 of The Ancient Wargame) so...

The collection I got was supposed to include 31 cataphracts, I seem to have gotten 39...

I think these are the page 15 survivors. The list  of figures included the comment 'Only a small element of the original Grant 20mm Persian army remained in his son's possession. The rest was sold off by Nell Grant via Ray McGarry - a Coven member - in the 1980s.' So I only got 93 cavalry and 51 infantry of these. Would be nice to know where the rest are.









6 comments:

  1. Rob, I recently won an eBay auction for some Garrison / Greenwood & Ball figures (some in the original boxes!) but I'm really only interested in the Greeks and Persians and there's quite a few Romans in the lot. If you're interested for the price of postage you can have them. Or better still a money free swap if you have any spare Greek light infantry/cavalry?

    The lot I bought is at the link below.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/metal-toy-soldiers-garrison-hinchcliffe-miniatures-/142568847181?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=TtJy%252FC0BLsn0bLX70y6nbnWTHe4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afraid I only do the 20mm figures and doubt there's much 25mm stuff around - email your address to garrisonminiatures@gmail.com and I'll see what I can send you.

      Regards

      Rob

      Delete
  2. Thats very kind of you to show the wonderful heavy cavalry with cataphract horses. I personally had cilibanarii in my Persian army as I didnt know any different and Derek Sharmen who had written the ancient rules I used said it was okay? Ah youth............I also had some weird Abyssinian archers painted half black and half white. God it was a strange army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely knew Derek quite well from conventions but never visited his shop in Durham - I believe he eventually moved to Scotland. He liked light charots in his Persian army list if I remember correctly. I assume the Abyssinians were Nubians who did paint themselves half red and half white... tried the paint job myself once but it didn't look right and I scrubbed the experiment!

      Delete
  3. Very nice, they look beautiful, strong, and heavy, so heavy!

    ReplyDelete