Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 26 August 2017

Old Tigers and a Stalin

There are quite a few old tanks lying around, though generally not this old... mostly 80s/90s, not many of my models exist from the 60s, these are some of them.

They probably date from about 1967/8. The Tigers have been repainted several times with extra layers just being added. The Stalin unpainted and with original transfers.

Back in the 60s kits were cheap. I would wander into my local model shop (ie, they sold Airfix kits) on a Friday and spend my pocket... usually, 3 kits a week. Shermans I could mass assemble. So these 3 would possibly originally have been bought and painted as a group.
 


The Stalin is unusual - unpainted and with original transfers. The only other Stalins I remember getting were 1 that was converted to a Stalin 2 (turret carved from balsa but using the same gun) and a couple converted to KVs - 1 had a carved turret as a KV76, the other got an unmodified T34/85 turret and was used as a T34/85.

I had a few conversions in those - my first was Priest converted from a Sherman - not sure when, would have to look up when the Airfix magazine article came out. 1967/8? I got some back issues of Airfix magazines - lots of SAS jeeps and carrier conversions. Also, Stugs as PzIII.

Sadly, all gone now.










2 comments:

  1. Rob, I hope you don't mind me contacting you via the 'comments' section on your Garrison blog. I have been trying to track down some Garrison ECW figures for my collection and thought I would ask if there was any possibility of ordering some figures from the range? I understand the you do occasionally cast to order. If you visit my blog: nostalgicecw.blogspot.co.uk you will see that I have only a few examples from this fine range, and would really love to obtain more :)

    Best regards, great blog,

    Lee Gramson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee

      No, quite happy for using the blog. Sorry I can't really help with the figures though - I have tried to open up casting at odd times including earlier this year but haven't any plans to do any more casting at the moment - basically, if casting for myself I try to use 'spare' time for others. Re ECW, I don't have any figures lying around in this range - the ones I had were sold off as a job lot. Strangely, I've sold more ECW figures in the 3 years since I closed Garrison than I did in the 7 years when it was a going concern.

      Delete