Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 14 April 2016

Carthage - the Spanish

Apart from basing and a new coat of gloss varnish very few of the Spaniards needed any extra work - really, it was just a case of giving the round shield cavalry new spears.

I'm a great believer in the thought that, for wargames figures, the most important visual aspect are decent shields. The Spanish figures have excellent shields.


The scutari have been put into 24 figure units though I  actually have 30 of each - the 'spares' may find a use later.




This unit is a later PB version than the other two. I think the officer is a Byzantine.


The cavalry have been posted in the earlier 'Sorting Carthage' blog but are here to make it complete. Also, I like the figures.




Nothing to say about the caetrati - they're well painted light infantry.


Never sure whether I should include Balearic slingers with the Spanish, but there isn't anywhere else to sensibly put them so...


I'll admit I really like this contingent.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This Carthaginian army has several advantages over most of the others - it's better defined, painted to a good standard already, and it's mostly complete. All pluses as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete
  2. Nice army. They give a good example how striking shield designs work on the overall look of an army. Also good to see one as colorful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't claim any credit for the paintwork - it's mostly how they came.

      Delete