Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 5 February 2015

Greek Light Forces

Cavalry and light infantry are one way in which I'm trying to add 'National Characteristics' to my various Greek contingents. At the moment I'm working my way through basing some of these.

Over the years the  Athenians were recorded as using both Thracian mercenaries and Scythians, although the Thracians hired for the trip to Sicily arrived too late and the Scythians were hired as a 'police force'.  So these two groups were obvious ones to add and I've supplemented them with mercenary Greek archers - probably from Crete.

The Scythian horse archers have yet to be rebased and are also a lot nicer than the photo suggests!

 
 
 

Apart from hoplites I've given the Spartans a unit of heavy  cavalry as 'bodyguard' - the hippeis - though in reality these would have acted as mounted infantry. For light infantry I've given them 4 units of low quality Helots, 3 of light javelins, 1 of slingers.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. These are great! I especially like the mounted Greeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mounted Greeks were painted by me and the scheme goes back to 1970 - middle figure, top row, was one of my first generals painted in my University colours. The rest of the unit was acquired and painted last year!

      Delete