Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 22 November 2014

Evolution of a phalangite

Firstly, a disclaimer. Alexander and the Macedonians might have thought of themselves as Greek - the Greeks didn't.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that Garrison didn't make any 20mm phalangites (SKT Seleucids don't count. They're bigger). One thing other people may have noticed is that I have a slight tendency to convert figures. Put the two together and suddenly Garrison sort of produce 20mm phalangites.

My first decision was choosing the figure to convert. I went for the G3 hoplite. Shield removed, helmet reshaped, new shield added - I admit it, I used the 28mm Seleucid one - arms bent and sarissa added. That gave me my basic Macedonian phalangite and I duly cast and painted two 16 figure test units.

Next, I decided to do one that could be used as a Successor phalangite. For that, I simply gave G16, the Boeotian hoplite, a slightly longer and thicker spear. The resulting sarissa was a bit too short - scales out at about 14 foot, just right for an Alexandrian sarissa. I then realised that the Alexandrian ones were longer. Nothing for it, I had to shorten the G3 conversions to match the Successors.

G16 and later G3 phalangites


Original G3 hoplite followed by first attempt and then second attempt at an Alexandrian phalangite.

Of course, I'm not the only one to change spears around. The pictures below show the original Minifig phalangites plus telegraph poles next to their later brethren


No comments:

Post a Comment