Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday, 23 October 2017

'New' Egyptians and Philistines

OK, got the new Egyptians and Philistines. First looks, very much a mixed bag.

Start with the horror story - the Egyptian chariots...

For a start, they didn't travel well. I think the main reason for this is that the box was packed, wrapped in paper, and the label put on the bottom... so it's spent several days upside down...
 Resulting in quite a few breakages...

 But to make things worse... some are obvious home casts. Look at the wheels and javelin cases - lots of missing spokes and miscast javelins. Haven't looked closely at the  chariots yet.
 Not very well done. The wheel is more obvious from the photo than the javelins. Happily, chariot wheels are not something I'm short of -  a lot of my other chariots were given Garrison wheels so lots of spares lying around.
 But the infantry are OK.

 I also got some archers but the photos didn't come out. Actually, the archers look OK but the bases have been cut down - possibly more homecasts?
 No issues with the Philistines - happy with them.


So very much a mixed bag. I would have sent the chariots back normally but they actually sold quite cheaply and many seem to be recoverable.













Sunday, 15 October 2017

Mede General's chariot.

Slowly going through the Romans - the cavalry are part way done now - but decided to finish off something I started earlier.

I cheated a bit - this was originally going to be a Persian general for the Persian version of I/40 but I decided to simply use 'spare' painted Medes and  make a Mede general instead.

The charioteer is simply a spearman with the bottom of the spear cut of and the rest bent into a whip shape. The general is an unchanged spare figure from the 3Bw unit. The chariot is the Garrison 25mm chariot with Assyrian chariot wheels and 20mm Garrison Persian horses.




 Meanwhile... I know I said the Minifigs Egyptians were finished, but never said I would stop getting more if they came up... and some have. So I've just added 27 chariots and 90 infantry to the host. Plus 2 Philistine ox carts and about 37 Philistine spearmen.  And I continue to be amazed at how cheaply they go for.



Tuesday, 10 October 2017

The Praetorian Guard

Seems like it's taking me longer and longer to paint things...

The Praetorians. I've gone for a purple/black/brass colour scheme which seems to work. The figure itself, if painted as mail rather than segmented armour, should work as Late Republic Legionaries - so I'll try that later.








Monday, 2 October 2017

Imperial Rome - first cohort

First full cohort finished, Praetorian cohort undercoated, Syrian archers cohort in line...

So the Roman army is on the move. Been meaning to do this army for at least 10 years!

First picture has the general's element in front complete with Eagle.

Next, the first of my cohorts. Quick paint job designed for service rather than good looks - didn't bother painting lightning bolts on the shields and the grey animal skins are meant to imply wolfskins.


Not really anything else to say about these. Pila would need work doing to them if I ever wanted to cast these commercially - it's bent because it snapped of during mould making and is therefore a bit wonky. Not great, but just about passes.







Friday, 29 September 2017

Vanha archers

Finally finished the Vanha archers. I've mounted them as (DBA classification) as 3Bw - they're only going to be used with HoTT rules in Fantasy battles and their are no skirmishers in Fantasy battles - everyone has a big sword and finishes up using it.  Having said that, if I ever get round to doing the javelin armed Vanha I'll probably put them on Ps bases. I've stuck to the basic Vanha 'green' scheme.


One thing I've never been is consistent. I did 18 of these on 6 bases, should have 12 on 4...
 

I mean, the spears are on 4 bases... 

With the swordsmen and possibly another spear unit (4 or 6 bases?) this will give the Vanha a reasonable infantry component. 


Being on a roll, I've also undercoated the swordsmen - these will make good Palace Guards and I'm actually thinking of red turbans.




Sunday, 24 September 2017

Garrison Medes

Vanha still stalled, Romans still not started, not a lot done recently apart from more of my Mede conversions.

A unit of Mede spears to be precise - 4 x 4Sp for army I/40 (b) or (c). Another 6 x 3Ax needs to be done for I/40(a). The conversion itself is simply the officer figure with cloak and body detail carved away whilst the sword has been replaced with a spear. Perhaps I should have done a side-by-side comparison photo.


Here they are seen with a load of my 3Bw elements - only need 2 of these for I/40(c) but I like 'full' units. Which means I should have done an extra two elements of the spears of course.

And not forgetting that I still only have 1 element  of Medes for my I/60 army - need to produce more of these. I suppose that, as sparabara, they should have the large rectangular pavise sparas rather than violin shaped ones - I think this is my version of 'artistic licence'.










Sunday, 10 September 2017

Of Greeks, Spartans and Medes...

Although of course Spartans are Greeks...

Normally this lot would be 3 separate posts but I seem to have been a bit laggard recently.

The 'Greeks'. That's just finishing off ones I've already mentioned. Well, OK, I added all the 'extras' I've painted when I did the other units, plus did a General's element using spare armoured figures... The end result being 9 elements plus a general's element. Enough for most generic versions of the Late Greek army.

 
 
 
 
 


I know I said that was going to be it for Greeks for now, but couldn't resist - armoured Greeks as Spartan Hippeis completed. Not wearing the Pilos helmet but can't have it all.
 



And as an 'extra' also did a unit of Mede archers.


Meanwhile, half way through finishing some Vanha archers as well - so  I have been busy.