Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 19 November 2014

More Greeks - Thebes

One of the nice things about only worrying about things you want to do rather than things other people want you to do is that you can take liberties.

OK, these Thebans carry the archaic Greek shield that went out of use around(?) 500BC. The cavalry, on the other hand, carry shields when their historical counterparts went without until about the mid 3rd Century BC.  Well, it's my army so...

This force is half by me, half bought. Red hoplites and cavalry are all my own work (cast and painted only, won't pretend I designed them.) Other hoplites and infantry bought ready painted.
 The Sacred Band are supposed to have formed up 50 deep. As there were only 300 of them, that's a narrow frontage.



No doubt these hoplites, Garrison 20mm G17, will be supplemented by my units of G16 Boeotian Hoplite With Pike, Boeotian Helmet - just not yet.

Cavalry figures are 20mm Garrison GC 5 Cavalryman Leather Armour, Spear And Shield, Attic Helmet Crested. Officer and standard bearer figures are G1 (mounted general), GC1 and GC2.


I use this figure because I didn't want 'good' cavalry. The old WRG designation of medium cavalry seems to fit.

No reason for giving the Thebans this unit of archers other than the fact that they matched one of the hoplite units.

5 comments:

  1. You have some great looking Greeks there.Taking liberties ( when and if one wishes to) is a job in the hobby.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Black' Thebans are some of the ones I got from Harry:
      http://parumpugna.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/battle-of-plataea-one.html

      Delete
  2. Of course I meant joy not job- 5.50 am typo,sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am finally making headway with my Greeks, so please keep the inspiration coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had a photo session - next up, Athens.

      Delete